1. Count from ten to one.
2. Breathe deeply.
3. Write a “venting” note, but don’t give it to the other party.
4. Change your posture and/or seating.
5. Take time out! Say you need to use the washroom.
6. Keep a picture of a loved one on hand, and imagine he/she is in the room.
7. Stroke your hair, ear lobes or face for comfort.
8. Imagine you are speaking underwater–slow down.
9. Picture a calm, green, sunny place with a flowing stream and speak to it.
10. Speak to the child, parent and spirit across the table.